So I had been having contractions all day on Friday, November 12th that were coming all day and about 10 minutes apart. They weren't painful at all just could feel my stomach tightening up. I worked all day and trying to wrap up last minute things since I didn't know if I'd be at work on Monday. I really had myself mentally prepared that I'd go a week overdue since it was my first. Jeremy called me all throughout the day wondering if he needed to come home from work - I even worked a bit late because I knew that I might be in labor. After he came home from work we went for a long walk, and then I used the jacuzzi tub while he went and got dinner. We ate dinner and by around 7pm the contractions started getting closer together more like 5-7 minutes apart. We just relaxed at home and Jeremy packed his bag and put the infant carrier in the car seat base. Jeremy said once the contractions start getting 3-5 minutes apart for an hour we'd head to the hospital.
By around 9pm I noticed the contractions were getting closer together and getting to be 3-5 minutes apart and by 10pm we decided to to get ready and head in - we ended up getting to the hospital about 11pm.
They hooked me up to the monitors and said I was almost 3cm by this point and was contracting about every 2-4 minutes. We decided to go walk but the intensity of the contractions were getting much stronger so I got in the jacuzzi tub for about an hour. Within an hour of being there I start getting contractions 2-3 minutes apart and was in active labor - so I was admitted and we got settled into a delivery room and I was 4cm by this point. We tried walking the halls more but I got to the point where I couldn't walk because I was getting contractions one on top of another - come to find out later I was contraction every 1-2 minutes so I wasn't getting a break. I found out my doctor was not on call so there was another doctor that was on call from my doctor's group - I was bummed but really didn't mind.
I went back to the room and was considering the epidural because I was having trouble at this point with contractions so close together and pretty much no break. I thew up around this time. I was concerned about getting the epidural at this point because I didn't want it to slow my labor down. So they gave me some pain medication through my IV which seemed to help a bit but within an hour by about 4am I felt like it wasn't working so I got the epidural. I was able to get a nice break, I tried to get some rest but wasn't tired. I got the epidural about 5am and was checked again (at 5:30am or 6am - can't remember) and I was an 8 already! Holy moly! The nurse said I was probably at a 6 when I had the epidural placed. The monitors were showing I was getting contractions back to back and they were lasting up to 2 minutes.
So they came and checked me again about an hour later and I was at a 9. There was a shift change at 7am so the on call doctor from my doctor's practice checked in on me and told me another doctor from their office would do the delivery.
My water still hadn't broken so the doctor came in and broke my water and they were doing the shift change. The new nurse we had was great. Within minutes after breaking my water I started feeling nausea and got sick again. The nurse was still in the room - and she said I'm going to check you again - I was at a 10 already! She was already finishing getting the room set up and said that I would start pushing soon to get the baby to come down more before the doctor came in. The nurse already knew that Jeremy was nervous about getting sick and said - your going to need to hold one of her legs - his eyes got big and said but I don't want to watch - she said that's fine you can face Holly but I need you to hold her leg while I hold the other. We did a bunch of pushes which I didn't think was bad and am not sure what time the doctor came in - it seemed like it flew by but I think I was pushing for about an hour to hour and a half but I didn't think it was bad. The doctor announced when her head was out and Jeremy said he looked and wasn't grossed out, and within a moment of her head being out she was on my belly! She looked so cute and let out a cry. Jeremy cut the cord too! I am amazed how well he held up, he said he didn't feel queezy or light headed at all (only when they were inserting my IV).
To me she looked small and when they weighed her and said she was 8 pounds! I was so shocked and didn't believe them!! I didn't feel like my stomach was all that big so she must have just been positioned just right in there. She was born at 8:42am. Jeremy was over by her while the doctor stitched me up and I didn't even notice when the placenta delivered - I was able to see Jeremy and the baby while they cleaned her up and checked her out. We had decided on the name Ashton Mckenzie before (remember our name drawing to decide on the first name). They brought her back over to me and Jeremy said "We can name her Mckenzie if you want!" She totally looked like a Mckenzie so we decided to go with Mckenzie Ashton! She was 21" long which I was surprised too!
We stayed in the delivery room until after 2pm and then they moved us to another floor where we stayed for 2 days. She struggled with breastfeeding at first but the pediatrician thought she might have some amniotic fluid in her belly still so they took her and they were able to get the rest of it out of her belly. After that she started nursing much better. She has been sleeping a lot during the day and of course is awake at night - we did have her sleep in the nursery part of the nights we were in the hospital so we could get some rest and they brought her back in for feedings. My doctor came and checked in on us and was bummed he wasn't there for the delivery.
All in all the experience was wonderful! I honestly had assumed I'd have a long labor for being my first but it went pretty quick. I was in hard labor for about 8 hours and thought it would have had the hard labor for 15-20 ish hours. It's funny how I had myself mentally prepared for morning sickness, not sleeping, back pain, long miserable labor - all of which didn't really happen. I'm thankful for a easy and healthy pregnancy and amazing birth experience too! Watch the next baby we have it'll probably be the opposite! (::knocks on wood::)
We had our first night at home which I didn't think was too bad - she was awake for quite a bit at night and had crying episodes but it went good (I thought) :)
I'm still waiting for my milk to come in which I expect to happen any time now but know that it can take several days.
My mom is coming in tomorrow and will be here until my birthday on the 22nd. She had booked a ticket back in August and I was more concerned that the baby would arrive after she left. I'm glad she's coming and Mckenzie is already here :)
I need to get our camera cord so I can load pictures from my camera onto the computer :)
We go for her check up tomorrow morning and


3 comments:
What a great story, thanks for sharing! So Ashton was the name Jeremy picked and Mckenzie was the name you picked? I can't wait to see more pictures, she's adorable! Glad you are all doing well :)
Congratulations! I am glad all went well! And I am glad your husband didn't get sick! She is beautiful. One thing I think helped Nellie was at night we don't talk to her and we keep the lights off and she has never had a prblem with knowing it is night time!
Yes, Ashton was Jeremy's pick
Post a Comment